Reuniting families is Canada’s top immigration priority through its Family Reunification sponsorship program. This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents alike who wish to sponsor spouses or partners, dependent children, parents, grandparents and other close relatives to become permanent residents as Family Class immigrants.


If you are visiting Canada and would like to extend your visit. You need to apply for an extension in order to do so. However, it is imperative that you apply before the expiry date of your temporary resident status. If you do not have this information on a study or work permit, a stamp in your passport, look at the date you entered Canada.


To work in Canada, one must be either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. However, there may be instances that a company fails to find a qualified employee in the country to match the job specifications it is looking for. In that case, there is a possibility of hiring a foreign national through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Simply put, employers must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an LMIA to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. The LMIA verifies that there is a need for a temporary worker and that no Canadians are available to do the job. This is only one type of work permit that may be available to you; however, there are many other types of work permit you may qualify for.


If you are planning to study in Canada, whether in university, college or any other institution, you may do so. The first step is to apply for and get a study permit. As an international student, with the exception of students learning English and French as a second language, you are allowed to work in Canada without a work permit. As well, once you graduate from the institution where you are studying, you can apply to get a work permit from one to three years as it is based on the period of study in Canada. After you graduate, the work experience you obtain as a student will allow you to apply for permanent residence under the the Canadian Experience Class.


Planning to visit Canada. The first thing you should do is to find out if you require a visa before you apply. Please take note that as of July 31, 2018, you will need to give your fingerprints and photo when you apply for a visitor visa if you are from certain countries. There are two ways of doing this process: you may apply online or on paper. Also, if you have a valid study or work permit and are planning to leave and return to Canada, you can apply for a new visitor visa before you leave Canada.


There are a few exceptional cases for people who would not normally be eligible to become permanent residents of Canada. In this case, the person may apply on Humanitarian and compassionate grounds. This is done on a case-by-case scenario and certain factors may be considered such as establishment in Canada, family ties in Canada, best interest of any children involved to name a few vital aspects considered. These types of cases are very delicate and it is highly recommended that an immigration professional with this specific case experience be retained.


Before you move ahead and fill out the form for an express entry profile, you need to make sure if you qualify for one or even more of the three specific federal immigration programs: the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.  For instance, you have to successfully complete a language test, and you need to get the National Occupational Classification code for all jobs that you have work experience in. You should also have your foreign educational diplomas assessed in order to verify their Canadian equivalent. Submitting a profile to the Express Entry pool may seem like a simple process, but it’s important to take the time to get it right. Your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score depends on the information you provide in your profile, and your immigration application could depend on a strong CRS score.


Have you been refused in Canada? Have you lost your resident status because you stayed out of Canada for more than the time allowed by law? Immigration appeals are decided by a judge or “member” of the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). The IAD hears different types of immigration appeals where Canadian permanent residents or citizens are involved. These include appeals from refused family sponsorship applications, removal order appeals, and residency obligation appeals.


There are now three ways to apply for permanent residence, based on Canadian work experience, as a caregiver. If you are eligible, you can use any of these options to apply. Individuals willing to provide help to care for children, the elderly or sick can apply through this program. However, it is imperative they have a job offer from a Canadian employer and must be willing to comply with certain requirements related to language, education and work experience. This program allows them to work for two years in Canada. After this period of time, the individual may apply for permanent residence as long as they match all the requirements of the program.


Are you planning to come to Canada by applying through the skilled worker program? You may do so, as long as your work experience includes the same type of job and within the last 10 years, and it falls under the skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification, among other factors. You must have a minimum level 7 of English or French in the Canadian Bench Mark and meet the point system. If you can’t show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you aren’t eligible under this program.


You can apply to this program through Express Entry. The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents, based on being qualified in a skilled trade. To qualify under the Federal Skilled trades program, the candidate must have at least two years of legally obtained work experience within the last five years in one of the required trades, and must have either an approved job from a Canadian company or the certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority. If your trade is not regulated by a province or territory, it may be federally regulated. The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials provides information on credential assessment for all regulated trades in Canada.


Foreign nationals or permanent residents who have been detained by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for immigration reasons have the right to appear before the Immigration Division (ID) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) for detention reviews. The CBSA may detain, or hold, a foreign national or permanent resident, if it has reasonable grounds to believe that the person is unlikely to appear for an examination, hearing and removal is a danger to the public. Furthermore, if it has reasonable grounds to suspect that the person is inadmissible – that is, not allowed to enter or remain in Canada – for security reasons, or for violating human or international rights, serious criminality, criminality or organized criminality. In most cases, the person would require a guarantor.


A refugee is different from an immigrant. This person is fleeing his/her country because of a well-founded fear of persecution. They may present their case before the competent tribunal to determine if they meet the definition of Convention Refugee or a Person in need of Protection. The Canadian refugee system is made up of the Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program, for people who need protection from outside Canada and the In-Canada Asylum Program for people making refugee protection claims from within Canada. Under Canadian law, a person claiming refugee status is carefully screened. This makes sure that there are no issues related to security, criminality, or health.


In order to apply for citizenship status in Canada, an individual must be at least 18 years old and he/she must have permanent resident status in Canada. This individual must not be the subject of an immigration investigation, an immigration inquiry or an order from Canadian officials to leave Canada. Additionally, the required physical presence in Canada, as a permanent resident, is 3 years out of a five-year period and, if the person is 18 to 54 years old, he/she will need to demonstrate the ability to communicate in either French or English by passing a Canadian Citizenship Test.


The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration category for Canada’s foreign workers who wish to become permanent residents. Temporary foreign workers (with a minimum of 1 year full time paid work experience) are ideal candidates for Canadian permanent residence.


Provincial nomination is an important fast-track option for Canadian permanent residence. The Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada and who are interested in settling in a particular province. Each province and territory has its own immigration departments with the purpose of attracting immigrants to fill their specific needs.


The Self-Employed Program allows people to become self-employed in Canada, as long as they have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics, and intend and be able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada. Find out if you’re eligible to apply.